Get Ready: Set Your Clocks, Check Your Stocks
Daylight saving time ends Sunday, Nov. 2, 2014. Is your emergency preparedness stockpile up to date?
When it’s time to change your clocks because of daylight saving time, use it as a reminder to check your preparedness kit to make sure your emergency stockpile isn’t missing any items and that the food hasn’t expired. APHA’s Get Ready: Set Your Clocks, Check Your Stocks campaign is reminding people to refresh their emergency supplies before a disaster occurs.
If you haven’t created a stockpile yet, now is the time to create one! (And as always, don’t forget to check the batteries in your smoke alarms.)
This information is good year-round: You don't have to wait for the clock change to update your stockpile. So think about having these materials at your next health fair or community meeting!
FREE MATERIALS FROM APHA
Check out our FREE materials and tips you can share! Select our individual resources below, or download them all in English in one PDF toolkit.
- Stockpiling fact sheet (PDF) English or Spanish
- Stockpiling checklist (PDF) English or Spanish
- Water stockpiling fact sheet (PDF) English or Spanish
- Budget stockpiling fact sheet (PDF) English or Spanish
- Pets stockpiling fact sheet (PDF) English or Spanish
- Cold & flu supplies fact sheet (PDF) English or Spanish
- Grocery shopping list (PDF) Grocery list
- Stockpiling recipes (PDF) Stockpile recipes
- Food Drive Toolkit: Help your community be prepared for disasters: Hold a food drive! Download our toolkit (PDF) on how to hold a food drive and read our Q&A on food drives for more advice.
ADD YOUR OWN LOGO!
- Customize our materials: Add your group's logo Customization page
FREE TOOLS FROM APHA
- Sample tweets: Spread the word via Twitter! Social media is a great way to let people know about the importance of replenishing or building a stockpile. Use these sample tweets on your Twitter account, or create your own using the #clocksstocks hashtag.
- Free Set Your Clocks, Check Your Stocks e-cards: Send one of our e-cards to someone you care about to remind them to check their emergency stockpile. E-cards
- Sample letter: Help share the preparedness message by sending a letter to your community partners. Customize the letter with your own logo or organization name! Sample letter
- Free logo downloads from APHA: Add the Set Your Clocks, Check Your Stocks logo to your blog, Web site or materials! Logo download page
- Get Set: An Emergency Preparedness Project Kit: A how-to guide for high school students interested in taking on preparedness activities at school or in their community (PDF) English or Spanish
- Resource for high school project kit: Camera-ready article as Word document Article
- Cool stuff for kids: Games and questions for kids to ask their parents (PDFs)
For more kid-friendly preparedness materials, visit the Get Ready Kids Fun Site
MORE RESOURCES FROM APHA
- NEW! Podcast with American Red Cross: Get tips for creating your stockpile from Cheryl Kravitz, director of communication at the American Red Cross, National Capital Region, in our podcast.
- Q&A on healthy stockpiling: Read our Q&A with Laura McNally, MPH, RD, FADA, a dietitian from the U.S. Public Health Service. Read Q&A
- Set Your Clocks, Check Your Stocks gear: Show your support for the Get Ready: Set Your Clocks, Check Your Stocks campaign by sporting our stylish T-shirt or mug. Or how about a reminder clock?
Get Ready Set Your Clocks, Check Your Stocks Video
A fun lesson on using the clock change a a reminder to update your emergency stockpile.
Countdown to Get Ready: Set Your Clocks, Check Your Stocks Day
We're counting down the days! Join us!
Have questions or ideas for the Get Ready: Set Your Clocks, Check Your Stock campaign? Call us at 202-777-2742 or send us an email.